Monday, November 3, 2008

heart rates & heart burn

Hello! Well, I am pleased to admit that I stuck to my guns and completed a precise 5-mile run this evening. Oh, and for the first time ever for going that distance, I did not stop to walk once! I actually kept my pace up between 6.5 and 7.0 mph for the majority of the run, slowing down to between 5.5 and 6.0 for the cool-down. Accompanying me on this cleansing ride was my trusty ipod shuffle and my new best fitness pal--a heart rate monitor! I've been toying with the idea of investing in one for about a year or so, so I felt justified in finally making the purchase. And am I glad I did! It allows me to keep track of stats such as average and peak heart rates and calories burned. I am now thinking of purchasing a distance and speed attachment for it...hmm.... Oh, and another great purchase I made was a new pair of headphones. I hate the original ear buds that come with ipods, because they are too big to fit securly in my ears (especially when the sweat starts!). I have wasted too much money picking up random replacement headphones only to be disappointed time and time again. I actually ended up in the Apple store and got a pair of Nike Vapor adjustable sport headphones (serious, huh?). I would definitely recommend them for ears both big and small! And at $30, the price wasn't too bad either. I'm sure they can be found online for cheaper, though.

Here's a pic of my not-so-feminine Timex HRM:














And my lovely ipod shuffle (a handy lil bday pres from Billy last year):


And my super fly Vapors:

Anyway, with all that high-tech gear, who has an excuse not to run?
Here are the stats for today's:
Time: 46.27
Total cals: 637
Peak HR: 171
Avg HR: 157
*It's true, running really is more mental than physical. I desperately wanted to stop after 15 minutes due to a losing battle with acid reflux! Somehow I pushed through...yikes.

No comments: